Maynard Family History
Walthamstow Toni and Shern Hall
The Manor of Wilcumestow dates back to before the Domesday book and continued to grow during the time of William the Conqueror, and in the time of the last Edward and his son the Manor was divided into Welcomestow Toni or High Hall and the smaller portion Welcomstow Fraunceys or Low Hall. Over the centuries the term Walthamstow Toni became more frequently used. The Toni family who gave their name to the estates also date back to Norman times. Ralphe de Toni was son of the standard bearer of Normandy, who fought at the Battle of Hastings. Either through inheritance or by marriage,the estate was gradually passed down to the Beauchamp branch of the Earldom of Warwick.
Toni-Hall and the Walthamstow estates were eventually bought by Charles Maynard in 1639 and was then owned by members of the Maynard family until the late 19th Century:
Sir William Maynard 1666 (died 1685) - MP for Essex.
Sir William Maynard son of William Maynard above (died 1715).
Sir Henry Maynard brother of William Maynard above (died 1738) - Verderer of Epping Forest.
Sir William Maynard (died 1772)
Viscount Charles Maynard (died 1824)
Viscount Henry Maynard (died 1865) - Lord Lieutenant and Vice-Admiral for Essex.
Frances Evelyn Maynard Greville, grand-daughter of Viscount Henry Maynard (born 1861).
To the left, the C1840 map shows the site of Shern Hall.
High Hall or Walthamstow Toni was originally in Clay Street (now Forest Road) but was replaced as the manor-house by a further mansion house' which Charles Maynard bought from George Rodney with other parcels of land around it. Shern Hall dated back to the 17th century. By the late 19th century it was a brick house of irregular shape and complicated roof pattern, suggesting piecemeal alterations; by then it had been reduced in size and stuccoed. After a fire in 1879 which destroyed the original panelling the house was restored, but demolished in 1896. By this time Henry Maynard's grand-daughter had inherited the house but had moved to the family estate at Easton Manor, Essex.
Soon after this, as part of the large building growth in Walthamstow, the terraced houses of Barrett Road to Brooke Road and Shernhall Street were built. The plan and photo above show the ornamental lake where later Warwick school was built (now St. Mary's) in Brooke Road.
Local street names with links to the Maynard family
Frances Evelyn Greville Maynard (also known as Daisy) was Henry Maynard's (1786-1865) granddaughter. The family line became extinct with her father Charles Maynard's death (1814-1865), as he was the last Maynard male heir. He died just a few months before his father Henry Maynard.
Frances Evelyn Maynard was married to Lord Brooke (Francis Richard Charles Guy Greville), 5th Earl of Warwick (1853 – 1924) who owned Warwick Castle. The recently close Lord Brooke public house in Shernhall Street was also named after him.
Lord Brooke and Francis Evelyn Greville had 5 children called
Leopold Guy Francis Maynard Greville, 6th Earl of Warwick (1882 -1928),
Lady Marjorie Blanche Eva Greville (1884 – 1964), Hon. Charles Algernon Cromartie Greville (1885 – 1887), Hon. Maynard Greville (1898 – 1960)
and Lady Mercy Greville (1904 – 1968).